Engagement Photo Tips For Newly Engaged Couples: How to Have an Amazing Engagement Session
It’s normal to be a little (or even a lot) nervous about being in front of the camera – most couples haven’t done this before! But there’s a ring on your finger. A wedding to plan, the time your life deserves to be celebrated. As a wedding and engagement photographer, my job is to make sure you feel confident about your photos – so to help you prepare for your session, here are some engagement photo tips that will ensure you have a fantastic time and that you love the photos!
Why Engagement Photos Matter
Before we talk about engagement photo tips – are you on the fence about scheduling an engagement session? Because many couples are nervous about being in front of the camera on their wedding day, they aren’t too excited about doing it an additional time during the engagement session.
But here’s the thing – I think every couple should take engagement photos, and if you’re nervous about it, that’s a great reason to do it! Do you want your first time in front of a professional photographer to be on your wedding day?
I always recommend working with the same photographer for your engagement photos and your wedding day because the engagement session is the perfect opportunity to get to know them! You’ll get comfortable with your photographer and practice being in front of the camera, and they’ll get to know what makes you laugh, what your best angle is, and how to ensure that you feel 100% at ease during your session. Then, when the wedding day rolls around, you can relax, knowing that you have complete confidence in your photographer to make you feel comfortable and to send you amazing photos that you’ll treasure forever!
Getting comfortable and connecting with your photographer is a big reason engagement photos are so important, but it’s also about documenting this time in your life. The wedding is unbelievably exciting, but being engaged is worth celebrating too – you’ll want to remember the feeling of knowing you were going to marry your best friend. An engagement session is the best way to document how the two of you are together!
Engagement Photo Tips
Now, let’s get into some engagement photo tips to help you prepare and to make sure you feel your best.
Tips for Choosing a Date for Engagement Photos
- When you decide on a date for your engagement photos, think about the weather. Here in Dallas, summers are hot and humid, and winters are cold and windy – so spring and fall are great times for outdoor engagement photos! But remember that these will also be the most popular times for visitors and locals to get outside and enjoy the weather, so you’ll likely run into more crowds if your engagement session location is in a public space.
- No matter what time of year you elope, a great engagement photo tip is to plan your session close to sunrise or sunset! You will achieve fantastic lighting, and it can also help avoid crowds. Sunrise is when you’re likely to get outdoor spots to yourself, but sunset is also usually less famous than the middle of the day.
- Another thing to consider when choosing a date is when your wedding is! If you already have a date set for your wedding, it’s best to do engagement photos a minimum of 6 months before so that you can use them for invitations or other stationery and print some out to display on the big day.
What to Wear for Engagement Photos
One of the biggest questions couples usually have about their engagement session is, “What do we wear?”
- Guys: PLEASE GET A HAIRCUT BEFORE THE SHOOT! (Go ahead and see your barber, so you show off that handsome face while looking super clean and sharp up top!)
- It’s a great question because you should choose your outfits and go all out for the session! I recommend choosing neutral colors, including beige, gray, white, and black, but it also has muted tones like forest green, navy blue, and maroon. You can also add fun patterns or pops of colors, but do just what is necessary! Make sure it’s not distracting and that it doesn’t clash.
- Your partner’s outfits should complement each other without being too matchy-matchy. Avoid pieces that clash with each other and pieces that are the same shade, and try on your outfits to ensure everything looks good!
- Another thing to keep an eye out for is tan lines! They happen, but if they’re noticeable, they will show up in photos – so especially if you’re wearing something sleeveless, check that you don’t have lines on your upper arms or your wrist if you wear watches or jewelry.
- Guys and girls, this is a perfect opportunity to shop and go all out on your photos. I always recommend “Going out” on a night on the town as your first outfit and a more “Casual” look for the second outfit and location. I will provide additional outfit examples; reach out to me!
Sample Outfit Color Schemes and best colors to wear:
Should I Hire a Hair and Makeup Artist?
- I always answer this question with a resounding yes! Why? These are photographs you will be showing your family and grandkids in 30 years. Why not invest now and ensure your family legacy continues with professional photos? Working with a hair and makeup artist for your engagement session ensures your skin is glowing and your hair is perfectly crafted and carefully placed while enhancing your overall appearance, which constantly balances out in professional engagement photos!
- I do not recommend doing your hair/makeup as other artists are skillfully trained and experienced in working with many different brides, just like yourself!
- Why stress on the day? Hire a professional who will take the time to glam you and prepare your Hollywood-like movie star photos.
- Take your engagement session as an opportunity to get glammed up! Hiring a professional hair and makeup artist is a great way to feel and look your best, and they’ll be the expert on what looks good on camera.
Need help with Makeup Artists? Don’t hesitate to ask your photographer for referrals!
What to Expect When You Take Photos
- Every photographer is different, but here’s what you can expect from an engagement session with me.
- I’m all about unposed, natural moments – so my priority is making sure that you feel natural, comfortable, and relaxed. You might feel a little out of your element when we get started, but that’s absolutely okay! You’ll forget all the nerves within a few minutes and realize that this is fun. Don’t worry – I’ll direct you, tell you how to look fabulous in every photo, and tell you what to do with your hands if you’re struggling. But I’ll talk to you, get to know you both, ask questions, and capture not just how you look but how you feel when you’re standing next to the love of your life
- You will walk away with amazing photos and the confidence to know how to look your best on your Cinderella Wedding day!
Tips for Hiring an Engagement Photographer
The most important thing for your engagement session is the photographer you hire – because it’s their job to ensure you feel your best! Before the camera shutter ever clicks, it’s essential that you bond with your photographer and that they’re someone you connect and speak to. You’ll be spending a lot of time together, so chat with any potential photographers and see if it’s a good fit!
If you’re ready to schedule an engagement session, contact me – let’s get to know each other and see if we connect!